BruCERT has received a number of reports from concerned members of the public regarding the legitimacy
of phone calls from the Department of Economic Planning and Statistics (JPES).
Kindly be advised that JPES had announced that as part of the Third Stage of the Population and Housing
Census (BPP) 2021, heads of households who have not been covered during the Second Stage of the census
will be contacted by a Census Officer to set an appointment for a Telephone Call Interview. The head of
households can verify the legitimacy of the Census Officer by contacting Talian Darussalam 123 or BPP 2021
Questions asked during the census interview includes:
• Section A: Housing Unit Characteristics
• Section B: Household Characteristics
• Section C: Household Equipment, Appliances, and Services
• Section D: Household Recreational and Travel Activities
• Section E: Personal Characteristics
- To verify whether you are communicating with a legitimate Census Officer, contact Talian Darussalam 123 or BPP Hotline as follows:
- 2230250 (office hours)
- 8382021 / 8382022 (Brunei Muara)
- 8382023 (Belait)
- 8382024 (Tutong)
- 8382025 (Temburong)
- Do not respond to any requests for information without any proper verification.
- Record and save voice recordings if possible.
- Report to JPES if the call and series of questions asked seems suspicious.
- JPES will not ask questions involving bank account or credit card details. If a caller requests these details, do not respond and end the conversation.
- If a threat is involved, report it to the police.
- Do not answer a call if the caller ID looks suspicious.
- Refer to JPES directly for official updates regarding the Population and Housing Census.